Journey to Compassion: Part 3 (Another Technique from Olivia Fox Cabane)

In the first part of this series, I shared a technique for being more compassionate taken from Olivia Fox Cabane's book The Charisma Myth. Olivia's book actually contains several techniques for being more compassionate. In this blog post, I'd like to share another one.

Let's say you're speaking with a person and you know for a fact that it is the person's last day on Earth. In other words, the person is going to die later that day. In that case, wouldn't you go out of your way to be extremely kind and respectful to the person, even if the person were a mean asshole? I know I would.

That's the idea behind the technique from Olivia's book that I want to share in this post. Accidents happen. I could get into a fatal car accident today. You could trip while walking down the stairs, crack your head open, and die. William Mistele could die of food poisoning today. Barack Obama could accidentally choke on his food while eating dinner later today and suffocate to death. J.K. Rowling could have a freak heart attack a minute after I publish this blog post and die. It doesn't matter who you are, you could die today. Always remember that. Whenever a driver cuts you off in traffic, remember that it could be the driver's last day on Earth. Whenever your boss yells at you for a stupid reason, remember that it could be your boss's last day on Earth. Whenever a coworker treats you rudely, remember that it could be his last day on Earth. This will motivate you to feel compassion for the driver/boss/coworker instead of getting angry.

I notice that a lot of internet arguments devolve into name-calling. If you find yourself arguing with someone on the internet and are tempted to call him an "idiot" or "imbecile" or anything like that, remember that it could be his last day on Earth. Hopefully, this will motivate you to feel compassion for him instead of anger at the fact that he disagrees with your stance on whatever subject you two are arguing about.

Oh, and by the way, I appreciate criticism of my books and articles because it helps me learn how I can improve my writing in the future. However, if you ever read my writings, decide that you dislike them, and want to send me some criticism, make sure your criticism isn't worded in an unnecessarily hurtful manner. Remember, it could be my last day on Earth. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

William Mistele's Writings on Saturn

How Will the Implosion of the Titan Affect the Bardon Community?

Five Considerations for Unvaccinated Bardonists