Exploring EIF: My Favorite EIF Story

 
Lately, I've been thinking a lot about EIF. What can I say? There are things I want to do in life, and I have to figure out how to do them. My time is running out. Everyone's time is running out. A cancer patient's time may be running out very quickly, but even a healthy person's time is running out. What I mean is simply that we all must die someday. And so I want to learn more about EIF, so that I may do the things I want to do in life before I die. They say the best way to learn about a subject is to teach it, so I'm going to try to teach EIF through blog posts. Hence this new series I am starting called "Exploring EIF."

So, what is EIF? It is many things. It is a motto, a philosophy, a belief, an attitude which arises from the belief, a truth, a practice, and a way of life. I've found that reading stories about people who applied EIF is one of the best ways to learn what EIF is. In her book, Marie shares several stories about people applying EIF. However, my favorite EIF story comes from a different book called The Charismatic Edge, which was written by Owen Fitzpatrick. This story comes from Owen's own life, and it really inspired me the first time I read it.

So, here's the situation. Owen Fitzpatrick is in Manchester. He needs to be in Rome for a conference the next day, and then he needs to be Dublin a few days later for another conference. Both conferences are extremely important. He has plane tickets, however, the date is April 15th, 2010, and the volcano Eyjafjallajökull has just erupted. Due to volcanic ash, all flights have been grounded in the UK and Ireland. 

Well, believe it or not, Fitzpatrick did make it to Rome in time for the first conference and then to Dublin in time for the second one. How? Here are some excerpts from the book where he explains what happened. 

I had to think quick, and so I began a journey I would never forget. Over the next few days I made it to Rome and all the way back to Dublin by way of fourteen traits, two buses, two boats, three taxis, and one hitched ride. Along the way I was told "No" many times and informed that there was no way I would manage to get where I wanted to go and that everywhere was sold out. 

As far as I was concerned I needed to get where I was going and I was going to do whatever it took to get there. Rejection didn't bother me. Failing to find the right solution didn't bother me. Looking silly didn't bother me. I was focused on one singly objective: to get where I wanted to go. 

Along the way, I hitched a lift across borders, blagged my way onto booked-out traits and talked my way into getting special treatment. In all, I booked maybe two trains in advance. I made it in time for both conferences. 

That's all impressive. Fitzpatrick credits his success to his attitude. He summarizes his attitude as follows - "I can, I will, let's go." This attitude that Fitzpatrick had is the same attitude that Marie Forleo tries to get her readers to adopt. This is the EIF attitude. It can be expanded to "I can (because I can figure out how to do it), I will, let's go."  

If Owen could figure out how to get to Rome and then to Dublin, why can't you figure out how to get to the next step of IIH and then to the step after that? Owen's goal was to get to certain places by a certain time. These days, I don't travel much, and neither may you, but I'm sure you have goals of your own. Even if you're not a Bardonist but somehow came across this blog, I'm sure you have goals. A friend of mine who isn't a Bardonist is trying to break her addiction to junk food. Every day, her goal is to get through the day without eating junk food. When Owen was trying to get to Rome or Dublin, there were undoubtedly things that made it difficult for him to get to where he wanted to go. When you're trying to get through the day without eating junk food, there are going to be things that make it difficult for to do that. For example, stress, tiredness, or any sort of negative feeling may make it more difficult for you to resist the temptation to eat junk food. But you have to have the right attitude - "I can (because I can figure out how to do it), I will, let's go." Regardless of whether your goal is to get to Rome by tomorrow or something completely different like not eating junk food, this attitude will help you. It is essential. So let's adopt this attitude.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Will the Implosion of the Titan Affect the Bardon Community?

William Mistele's Writings on Saturn

Five Considerations for Unvaccinated Bardonists