The Spiritual Benefits of Tidying and Cleaning in a Mindful and Caring Manner

 
Tidying and cleaning always go hand in hand for me. I can't vacuum my floor if my apartment is so untidy that there are clothes, papers, notebooks, and books scattered everywhere on the floor. I'd have to tidy up first. 

I did some tidying and cleaning today. I have to say, if you have a lot of negative traits related to disorganization on your black soul mirror, these days you have it good. Not only do you have Marie Kondo's book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, you even have a Netflix show dedicated to her way of tidying up. Back when I was trying to eliminate disorganization-related negative traits from my black soul mirror, I didn't have any of those resources. For Marie Kondo, tidying is literal magic. She didn't just incorporate the word "magic" into the title of her book to make it sound catchy. As a result of her past involvement with Shinto, Marie Kondo has a spiritual view of tidying and, in her book, she explains how tidying a house can affect the flow of spiritual energy through it. Stagnant water can become foul, and it can become a breeding ground for mosquitos. I imagine that stagnant spiritual energy may produce similar issues, but the less cluttered a house is, the easier it is for spiritual energy to flow through it. Perhaps it's just my imagination or some spiritual version of the placebo effect, but I do notice that my practice sessions go better when my apartment is tidy rather than messy.

As for cleaning, I direct you to this article by Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee. Mindful cleaning really is a great way for me to improve my mental health by entering into a state of peace and inner stillness. I think any mindful activity can do that, but I've noticed that mindful cleaning does it especially well. Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee states that he loves cleaning. I can relate. Not only is it enjoyable, I'd even say it's therapeutic. I know that many people are loathe to clean, seeing it as a dull task they'd rather avoid in favor of doing something more interesting or fun. But when you realize that cleaning can be a spiritual exercise, and that the spiritual benefits from practicing this spiritual exercise may help you with your magical training, then you attitude towards cleaning may change quite considerably.

Comments

  1. Thank you, this was a wonderful read and I've always appreciated immensely how you find the most profound books and studies on specific subjects. The books, Netflix show, and article you posted in addition to your own unique experience with said subject are fantastic. From my heart to yours, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

William Mistele's Writings on Saturn

How Will the Implosion of the Titan Affect the Bardon Community?

Five Considerations for Unvaccinated Bardonists